HOME
Friends & Suggested Reads
  • Falk- thanks for helping with the site!
  • Counterpunch
  • infoshop news
  • American Leftist
  • Add to Technorati Favorites
  • 1/25/2004

    A Weekend With the Feds in the Family part 1 This weekend was pretty wierd for me. I went with my partner to her aunt and uncle's house in some suburb of Chicago that was striking in the concentration of wealth. Every house looked the same and every store looked the same... you really couldn't go more than a couple miles without feeling you're passing through one of those cartoon backgrounds that just repeat the same thing over and over. Her aunt and uncle are nice people though- really. They were more than gracious hosts and in the end made sure that we were overfed (and over-drunk on Saturday night). There was just one thing that freaked me out though. My partner's uncle is a U.S. Marshall and there's really nothing that gets a paranoid "leftist" more thoroughly agitated than spending time with a cop. And a federal cop to boot. When it came down to it, the most striking thing about this experience wasn't the fact that I was inside a fed's house, but just how boring it was inside this fed's house. We napped, played video games, board games, and ate food, lots and lots of food. Saturday afternoon consisted of this very strange bleeding of lunch into dinner that lasted about 5 hours, accompanied by approximately 10 cups of coffee. Saturday night got a bit lively though as we (or should I just be honest and say I) drank copious amounts of wine. Everyone else had wine too but I was the only one that had wine and a drinking problem. The uncle's partner (in the literal cop sense of the word) came over and we all ended up sitting around the table talking about what for me is inescapable: politics. more to come...